[Xorp-users] FATAL xorp_fea ERROR

Vikram KAUL vkaul at research.telcordia.com
Tue Jul 18 09:07:57 PDT 2006

Thanks for the replies. My comments interspersed..

pavlin>The MFC entry addition is probably bogus (see my reply to your
pavlin>earlier email). The real issue is why the PIM-SM Join message wasn't
pavlin>generated when the receiver joined.

I have sent a detailed email, along with log and xorpsh outputs detailing
that issue. Thanks again for the pointer on the bogus entry.

pavlin>> Why does the fea error occur ?
pavlin>First, could you double-check that HAVE_IF_INDEXTONAME inside
pavlin>xorp/config.h is defined:
pavlin>/* Define to 1 if you have the `if_indextoname' function. */
pavlin>#define HAVE_IF_INDEXTONAME 1

Yes. It is set to 1

pavlin>
pavlin>
pavlin>If yes, could you send the output of the following programs (after
pavlin>XORP is started):
pavlin>
pavlin>UNIX:   cat /proc/net/ip_mr_vif
pavlin>Xorpsh: show interfaces
pavlin>        show mfea interface
pavlin>        show pim interface

[root at mobile17 ~]# cat /proc/net/ip_mr_vif
Interface      BytesIn  PktsIn  BytesOut PktsOut Flags Local    Remote
 0 vf0             480      15         0       0 00000 1164A8C0 00000000
 1 pimreg            0       0         0       0 00004 1164A8C0 00000000

[root at mobile17 ~]# cat /proc/net/ip_mr_cache
Group    Origin   Iif     Pkts    Bytes    Wrong Oifs

root at mobile17> show interfaces
vf0/vf0: Flags:<ENABLED,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::4c52:4cff:fe63:6a91 prefixlen 64
        inet 192.168.100.17 subnet 192.168.100.0/24 broadcast 192.168.100.255
        physical index 21
        ether 4e:52:4c:63:6a:91

root at mobile17> show pim interface
Interface    State    Mode   V PIMstate Priority DRaddr          Neighbors
vf0          UP       Sparse 2 NotDR           1 192.168.100.21          1
register_vif UP       Sparse 2 DR              1 192.168.100.17          0

root at mobile17> show mfea interface
Interface    State    Vif/PifIndex Addr            Flags
vf0          UP               0/21 192.168.100.17  MULTICAST BROADCAST KERN_UP
register_vif UP               1/21 192.168.100.17  PIM_REGISTER KERN_UP

pavlin>
pavlin>Also, do you always get this XLOG_FATAL() message right after the
pavlin>PIM Register message is transmitted:

Nope. After a bunch of PIM REGISTERS. Probably, they were running for 10
minutes, before the error occured

pavlin>For some reason, XORP probably wanted to send Prune messages
pavlin>toward the RP and toward S, but it couldn't because there was no
pavlin>upstream PIM-SM neighor router. Given that those messages were
pavlin>generated right after the FEA crashed, all bets are off about which
pavlin>particular event triggered them.

Alright. Let me approach these problems one at a time. :-)

pavlin>
pavlin>> Why does joining the group not create an immediate PIM Join when the
pavlin>> router/node has been configured to act on only IGMP messages from itself and
pavlin>> each router/node is a DR ? This should ordinarily have worked in sending a PIM
pavlin>> join towards the next upstream router in direction of the RP ?
pavlin>
pavlin>This is the question we need to answer. Hopefully, the debug info I
pavlin>asked about in my earlier email will help us finding the answer.

I have sent that one. Thanks for the help

regards
Vikram