[Xorp-users] iBGP peering issue

Ashwin Chimata ashwinc at ittc.ku.edu
Mon Jul 24 06:29:07 PDT 2006

Hi,
       I am relatively new to XORP and have a question regarding how to set
up
IBGP peering using XORP.  The following is my set up

      router1 (AS 65001)
     ----------
     interface eth1 -> 172.16.1.2  (connected to eBGP peer 172.16.1.1 in AS
65002)
     interface eth2 -> 10.1.0.2   (want to conect to iBGP peer 10.3.0.1 )

     I have "ospf" setup on router 1 and with other internal routers in AS
65001, and am redistributing the
OSPF and connected routes into BGP. However, I want these routes to be
redistributed only to my eBGP
peer and not to my iBGP peer.

     The following is my BGP configuration:

protocols {
        bgp {
                bgp-id: 172.16.1.2
                local-as: 65001
                export: "routes_to_export"

                peer 172.16.1.1 {   /* eBGP peering */
                        local-ip: 172.16.1.2
                        as: 65002
                        next-hop: 172.16.1.2
                        holdtime: 120
                        ipv4-unicast: true
                }
                peer 10.3.0.1 {    /* iBGP peering */
                        local-ip: 10.1.0.2
                        as: 65001
                        next-hop: 10.1.0.2
                        holdtime: 120
                        ipv4-unicast: true
                }
        }
}

and this is the policy statement I am using for redistributing the connected
and OSPF routes:

policy {
        policy-statement "routes_to_export" {
                term "export-ospf" {
                        from {
                                protocol: "ospf4"
                        }
                }
                term "export-connected" {
                        from {
                                protocol: "connected"
                        }
                }
 }
}

   These are the questions I have:

 1) Is my iBGP peering configuration with the iBGP peer 10.3.0.1 correct in
the config file ?
 2) How to allow routes to be redistributed only to all eBGP peers and to
none of iBGP peers ?
 3) Is there any other way to advertise networks to BGP peers other than
using export policies ?
because using export policy causes internal routes to be advertised to iBGP
peers too.

     When I tried setting up the iBGP and eBGP peering, as in the above
config file,
router1's connected routes were sent through both ospf and iBGP updates, and
there was route flapping

     Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ashwin