[Xorp-users] morekonda at gmail.com

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Fri Jun 23 11:46:07 PDT 2006

> I'm new to the XORP community. I have tried to download the LiveCD
> Rel. 1.2on Windows XP machine, it was downloaded with extenson .gz and
> surprisingly
> the file size was about 254MB instead of 89MB. I had tough time to burn the
> CD. Later i tried the same with Linux machine and somehow got the proper
> .iso image and able to burn on the CD.
>
> I tried to run the LiveCD image from a PC which, has latest chipsets,
> motheboard and interfaces. It worked until the XOPR splash image and hung.
> Appreciate any help regarding any hardware configuration/specification and
> download procedure would really help me to proceed further. Look forward for
> any valuable help.

First, could you double-check that the MD5 checksum for the
dowloaded and uncompressed image is correct:

MD5 (LiveCD.iso) = 28fea148a1341ead18b2923c5bd27233
MD5 (LiveCD.iso.gz) = de2d6445f2f1e6df49543df58ad8640a

The size of the above two files should be 251435008 and 93168272
respectively.

There are no specific requirements about the hardware: if FreeBSD-i386
can run on it, then the LiveCD should also work. BTW, note that the
XORP image is displayed while the kernel is booting so it might take
up to 1-2 minutes or so until the process is completed.
However, the LiveCD is based on FreeBSD-4.10 which is a little bit
too old, so it could be that you have some hardware that
FreeBSD-4.10 doesn't recognize.

After the XORP splash image appears, can you keep pressing <ENTER> a
number of times. If you are lucky, the image will be replaced with
the kernel boot messages. Eventually, those boot messages might
help finding the source of the problem.