[Xorp-users] Complex BGP. mBGP and PIM-SM setup

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Fri Jun 23 16:16:10 PDT 2006

Otto Solares <solca at guug.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 12:33:28PM -0700, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> > > c. I want to export to my next router via BGP my
> > >    public Internet CIDR so I have this but it
> > >    doesn't work (quagga do export it correctly
> > >    but problem with quagga is that it doesn't
> > >    handle PIM so I have to pair it with pimd which
> > >    is not as good as Xorp for tracking IGMP and
> > >    it has lot less parameters to tune):
> > >
> > >    policy {
> > >    	policy-statement to-bgp {
> > > 		term export {
> > > 			from {
> > > 				protocol: "connected"
> > > 				network4: <public_cidr>
> > > 			} to {
> > > 				neighbor: 10.10.26.14
> > > 			} then {
> > > 				accept
> > > 			}
> > > 		}
> > > 	}
> > >    }
> > >
> > >    bgp {
> > > 	export: "to-bgp"
> > >
> > > 	bgp-id: 10.10.26.7
> > > 	local-as: 65103
> > >
> > > 	peer 10.10.26.14 {
> > > 		local-ip: 10.10.26.7
> > > 		as: 65103
> > > 		next-hop: 10.10.26.7
> > >
> > > 		ipv4-unicast: true
> > > 		ipv4-multicast: true
> > > 	}
> > >    }
> >
> > First, could you try "network4 <= <public_cidr>" statement instead
> > of "network4: <public_cidr>" .
> >
> > If this doesn't help, for testing purpose could you remove the "to"
> > statement and see whether it works.
>
> Using "network <= 168.234.203.0/25" statement exports every connected
> route.  Using "network4: 168.234.203.0/25" works but I discover the

I thought that you want to export all connected routes that fail
within prefix <public_cidr>, hence I suggested using the "<="
operator. If you want to export _only_ 168.234.203.0/25, then
indeed you should use the ":" operator.

> problem:  As you can see I have "next-hop: 10.10.26.7", the peer
> router said my next hop is a public IP: 168.234.203.2 so I think
> Xorp is ignoring the next-hop statement in BGP.

I am slightly confused with the above description.
First, do you use any NAT between 10.10.26.7 and 10.10.26.14?
>From their IP addresses I guess they are directly connected, but
just want to double-check.

What exactly do you mean by "the peer router said my next hop is a
public IP: 168.234.203.2".
Could you include the particular log message or xorpsh output that
is related to this info.