[Xorp-users] Problem starting xorp_rtrmgr in 1.2 RC

Bruce M Simpson bms@spc.org
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 19:01:50 +0000

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 08:39:58AM -0800, Atanu Ghosh wrote:
> I think that you are right the rtrmgr should have an option to run as a
> background daemon.

I would try FreeBSD's daemon(8) command, too, the problem there is that
the logs need to be told to go elsewhere.

> Before we make such a change we would need to decide what to do with the
> output from the XORP processes, discard, send to syslog, put in a
> logfile in /var/log. In the code all output is generated with macros
> that would map directly to syslog priorities, we have just never tied
> XORP to syslog.

There is a patch to make XORP's logging facility use the
OutputDebugString API on Windows, the same could probably be done for
the Event Logging API there too.

BMS