[Xorp-users] IPv4 PIM-SM and SSM (was Xorp debug messages)

Martin Hoffmann mh5942@bris.ac.uk
Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:08:24 +0000

>>I solved my problem regarding the Hello messages. I set up a new
>>machine, running Xorp-1.2-RC and a properly configured 2.6.10 kernel.
>>Xorp and Click now successfully exchange PIM Hello messages.
>>

>Can you elaborate a little bit more on the original problem and the
>solution. If I understand correctly, it was not possible to pass the
>PIM control messages from Click to XORP (if they were running on the
>same machine). However, if you run Click on a separate machine
>directly connected to XORP then XORP could receive the PIM control
>messages. Is this correct?

I'm running Click and Xorp on separate machines.
As you suggested before I set up a pure Xorp testbed (2 machines).
Sending PIM control messages worked fine but neither of the Xorp routers
received the messages. They physically passed the link (tethereal).
The machines are servers in the machine room and half the department is
working on them. Since I don't even have root access, I gave up
searching for the problem and set up my laptop as a 2-port Xorp router.
Maybe the problem was a messed up kernel configuration.
I was confused because it was possible for the Xorp routers to receive
IGMP messages from connected hosts. I couldn't figure out why they
didn't get PIM control messages.

Receiver <--IGMP works--> Xorp Router <--PIM control doesn't work-->Xorp
Router <--....

Click is working fine on these machines so I did not investigate any
further.

Thank you for explaining all the rest, it made a lot of things clear!

>The problematic flags are the "|S|W|R|" flags in the Encoded-Source
>address format (see Section 4.9.1 in the spec).
>In your case "(S,G) Join" the flags should be "1|0|0" (i.e., 0x4).
>However, you have "1|1|0". I.e., you have set the S and the W flags,
>but this is not a valid combination because the spec says that:
>"If the WC bit is 1, the RPT bit MUST be 1".
>
>Keep only the "S" bit value set to 1 and try again.

Yes, that solved the problem. Click and Xorp routers are now building a
shortest path tree. Hello and Join/Prune messages work fine.

Xorp throws the following warning for each multicast packet:
[ ... WARNING xorp_pimsm4 PIM ] RX WHOLEPKT signal from MFEA_4:
vif_index = 2 src = 192.168.40.1 dst = 232.2.2.2 len = 1344: no
interface connected directly to source

What's wrong here?

Martin