[Xorp-users] XORP config - why 127.127.0.1

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 18:20:13 -0800

<DEL>

> > Because many FIBs deal purely in terms of IPv4 next-hops, sometimes it's
> > necessary to just stuff something in there to keep it happy. You'll see this
> > if you dip down deep into the murky depths of the rtsock code in the FEA.
> >
> > And 127.127.0.1 seemed less confusing (NTP is the only other application
> > I know of which overloads the meaning of 127/8 address space in this way).
> >
> > This is probably more confusing than the original statement, but there you go!
> Might one suggest using 192.0.2.1 in the examples
> as this is somewhat of an industry standard for
> blackhole destinations.

I believe that 192.0.2.1 is the one typically used in documentation.
According to RFC 3330 it belongs to 192.0.2.0/24 which is assigned
as:

   192.0.2.0/24 - This block is assigned as "TEST-NET" for use in
   documentation and example code.  It is often used in conjunction with
   domain names example.com or example.net in vendor and protocol
   documentation.  Addresses within this block should not appear on the
   public Internet.

In any case, the 127.127.0.1 address in our sample configuration is
now changed to 192.0.2.1.