[Xorp-users] Vyatta

Kristian Larsson kristian@juniks.net
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:43:54 +0200

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 02:25:36PM +0000, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> Is www.vyatta.com a fork of XORP or does it exchange sources
> with the XORP project ?
> I tested their LiveCD and it seemed to have many features I
> could not see it the src tree of the "vanilla" XORP.
> Features like web service runnking lighttpd with a web interface.
> I realize vyatta is Linux-centric and uses custom build with busybox etc
> but would it be difficult to incorporate the web interface into XORP ?
>
> And that leads to my second question.
> How modular is XORP, would it be possible to compile it with support for
> just a few features and/or add new features like e.g configuration of wireless devices?
Vyatta is utilizing XORP as a foundation. XORP is
the active routing component in Vyatta and the
xorpsh is utilized as well. The Vyatta team has
then added a lot of things, for example it is
possible to configure users, a few services,
firewalling rules and so on via the CLI. This is
not possible in the standard XORP package.

Although I've worked a bit with the Vyatta
projects OFR I haven't come around to trying the
web interface so can't answer that bit.

XORP is rather modular. There is currently no
support for configuration of wireless devices, but
this could be added if someone just sat down and
wrote some code :)

Regards,
  Kristian.