[Xorp-users] Vyatta

Marcin Jessa lists@yazzy.org
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:40:05 +0000

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 07:01:52 -0800
"Allan Leinwand" <leinwand@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
>    Thanks to Kristian for the correct answer on our product which is
> available off our homepage.

By "our product" you mean the one of vyatta.com ?

> The web interface has been in our source tree
> for sometime, although we have not officially announced that it is ready for
> beta testing.  We expect to be ready for folks to begin beta testing of the
> web interface in the next few weeks.

Great news :)

>    We're talked to XORP about taking our web interface and incorporating it
> into their project and will work with them to do this work.  We're also
> preparing to submit the work that we've done on other features, such as
> 802.1q VLAN support (which we announced last week).

As I understand this is pretty much Linux-centric, right?
I work with embedded Linux myself but I also work on a NetBSD and FreeBSD
based project and wonder if the changes/patches you're talking about are
O.S independant or just for Linux.
Both the BSDs (along with the two other major BSDs - OpenBSD and DragonflyBSD)
support VLAN. They also support bridging (sharing much of the same code) and since
bridging is a part of the Vyatta fork it would be great to have it implemented as well.
Not to mention all the other great features like user configuration, DHCP, NTP and DNS support.

Cheers and thanks a lot for your answer.

Marcin.