[Xorp-users] Vyatta

Mark Handley M.Handley@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:47:39 +0000

On 3/30/06, Kristian Larsson <kristian@juniks.net> wrote:

> Vyatta is utilizing XORP as a foundation. XORP is
> the active routing component in Vyatta and the
> xorpsh is utilized as well. The Vyatta team has
> then added a lot of things, for example it is
> possible to configure users, a few services,
> firewalling rules and so on via the CLI. This is
> not possible in the standard XORP package.

I should add that the Vyatta folks have contributed a lot of fixes
(and bug reports!) back into the main tree, and they have provided
funding for the core developers.  So definitely not a fork.

If you want, think of the Vyatta/XORP relationship as being similar to
the {RedHat,Ubuntu,etc}/Linux relationship.

 - Mark