[Xorp-users] Vyatta

Allan Leinwand leinwand@gmail.com
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:05:59 -0800

------=_Part_5137_30786302.1143734759704

Hi Marcin,

On 3/30/06, Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org> wrote:

> By "our product" you mean the one of vyatta.com ?

Yep, my mistake for not using my vyatta account to reply to this.  I was
referring to the Vyatta OFR above.

>    We're talked to XORP about taking our web interface and incorporating
> it
> > into their project and will work with them to do this work.  We're also
> > preparing to submit the work that we've done on other features, such as
> > 802.1q VLAN support (which we announced last week).
>
> As I understand this is pretty much Linux-centric, right?

Yes, the OFR is Linux-centric.

I work with embedded Linux myself but I also work on a NetBSD and FreeBSD
> based project and wonder if the changes/patches you're talking about are
> O.S independant or just for Linux.

At the moment we have tested them only with Linux.

Both the BSDs (along with the two other major BSDs - OpenBSD and
> DragonflyBSD)
> support VLAN. They also support bridging (sharing much of the same code)
> and since
> bridging is a part of the Vyatta fork it would be great to have it
> implemented as well.
> Not to mention all the other great features like user configuration, DHCP=
,
> NTP and DNS support.

All of the above features are in the OFR image.  Please alow me to be
specific here for a second - when I say that we have these features we have
not written our own implementations. We've incorporated kernel featuires or
additional projects to round-out the feature set of the OFR and then
extended this integration to our CLI and GUI.  We clearly do not want to
re-write NTP, DHCP, or VLAN tagging :)  You can find the complete list of
features and projects that we've incorporated on our wiki.

Take care,

allan

------=_Part_5137_30786302.1143734759704

gmail_sendername">Marcin Jessa</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:lists@yazzy.org">l=
ists@yazzy.org</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; p=
adding-left: 1ex;">
By &quot;our product&quot; you mean the one of <a href=3D"http://vyatta.com=
atta account to reply to this.&nbsp; I was referring to the Vyatta OFR abov=
e.=20
olid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">&gt=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;We're talked to XORP about taking our web interfac=
e and incorporating it
nbsp;We're also<br>&gt; preparing to submit the work that we've done on oth=
er features, such as<br>&gt; 802.1q VLAN support (which we announced last w=
eek).<br>
mail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt=
 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
I work with embedded Linux myself but I also work on a NetBSD and FreeBSD<b=
r>based project and wonder if the changes/patches you're talking about are<=
 have tested them only with Linux.=20
olid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">Bot=
h the BSDs (along with the two other major BSDs - OpenBSD and DragonflyBSD)
) and since<br>bridging is a part of the Vyatta fork it would be great to h=
ave it implemented as well.<br>Not to mention all the other great features =
like user configuration, DHCP, NTP and DNS support.
 Please alow me to be specific here for a second - when I say that we have =
these features we have not written our own implementations. We've incorpora=
ted kernel featuires or additional projects to round-out the feature set of=
 the OFR and then extended this integration to our CLI and GUI.&nbsp; We cl=
early do not want to re-write NTP, DHCP, or VLAN tagging :)&nbsp; You can f=