[Xorp-users] Vyatta

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:52:10 -0800

> > XORP is rather modular.
> Does it mean some of it's components can be taken away during compilation?
> Say I need only some basic features like configuration of interfaces, IP addresses,
> default routing and firewalling. Would I be able to compile just
> those parts and maybe add the missing, new modules ?

Yes (to some extend).
For example, if you don't want a specific protocol, then don't
compile it and it won't be used. Though, you may have to remove the
corresponding configurational/operational template files under
xorp/etc/templates to make sure the protocol is not configurable
anymore.

Note that by default "gmake" in the top-level directory will attempt
to compile all components (except mibs).
If you want to exclude some component, currently you would have to
edit configure.in and the top-level Makefile.am and then regenerate
the build infrastructure (by running ./bootstrap).

Alternatively, you would have to "cd" to each particular directory
and run "gmake" if you want to exclude some of the directories.
You might have to compile the directories in some particular order,
but the top-level Makefile.am can give you some rough idea what is
mandatory and the compilation dependency order.

Pavlin