[Xorp-users] multicast without static routes

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Tue May 16 17:19:00 PDT 2006

> The scenario:
>
> RP
>     \
>      xorp1------xorp2----destination
>     /
> source
>

> in relation to point
>   1) Verify the RIP routes are inside the kernel by using
> the
>     following UNIX command:
>
>   netstat -rn
>
> everyting is ok all xorps know all the networks in this
> scenario including the networks related with the source
> and destination
>

> in relation to point
> 2) Verify whether fib2mrib installed them in the RIB by
> >using the
> >   following xorpsh commands:
> >
> first with
> > show route table ipv4 multicast fib2mrib
>
> it´s where the problems start, because the routers only
>  know the networks that they are directly connected,and
> not the networks that they have to jump by the next router

Could you confirm that you are using XORP-1.2 or latest code from
CVS. If you are using older version, please upgrade and see if the
problem goes away.
Also, what OS are you using?

It appears to be a problem with either distributing the
kernel routes from the FEA to the FIB2MRIB module, or from the
FIB2MRIB module to the RIB.

To answer that, could you set the XRLTRACE variable in your shell
environment and then run XORP (e.g., "setenv XRLTRACE yes" in
csh/tcsh). This will generate lots of entries (for all XRLs invoked
in the system), so the best way to save this output is to run the
script(1) program and then run XORP. After you stop XORP and exit
script(1) the result will be in file typescript.

If you like, you could send me the output (you don't need to send it
to the list) and I will try to find the missing XRLs.

Otherwise, look for XRLs fea_fib_client/0.1/add_route4
and rib/0.1/add_route4.

The former should be send from the FEA to FIB2MRIB. The latter
should be send from FIB2MRIB, but look only for those that have
protocol=fib2mrib. You should see such XRLs for each RIP
route. E.g., pick a network address learned from RIP. The output
should contain the following XRLs for that address:

1. rib/0.1/add_route4 (with protocol:txt = rip) from RIP to RIB
2. redist_transaction4/0.1/add_route from RIB to FEA
3. fea_fib_client/0.1/add_route4 from FEA to FIB2MRIB
4. rib/0.1/add_route4 (with protocol:txt = fib2mrib) from FIB2MRIB
   to RIB
5. redist_transaction4/0.1/add_route from RIB to PIM

In your case, the routes are missing either in step 3 or step 4.

> PS:another question just to confirm, to configure the SPT
>  trigger we only need to configure the
>   switch-to-spt-threshold Wright?

Yes.