[Xorp-users] IGMP/PIM question ?

Vikram KAUL vkaul at research.telcordia.com
Tue May 23 09:10:06 PDT 2006

Hi,

  First post here.

  I am trying to check whether I will be able to use XORP. Specifically,
here is what I am trying to do:

The multicast applications reside on a linux box which acts as a router as
well. There are no 'end hosts' per-se. A string of these linux
'routers/hosts' are connected to each other and unicast routes are
available. Initially, I will set the unicast routes statically, but later
on move to a xorp-rip or ospf daemon.

What I intend to see is whether I will be able to run PIM-SM (with
statically configured RPs) in a scenario like this. When the receiver
application starts, I want the local PIM daemon to respond to the local
IGMP Membership Report (which would have ordinarily used been used to join
a group). Of course, the PIM daemon in the adjacent router that would have
ordinarily responded to this IGMP message should neglect it in the
scenario I want to create.

Similar to the above functionality, a host of other IGMP/PIM interactions,
also have to be limited to "local" daemons (IGMP and PIM) rather than the
traditional relationships between 'end-hosts' and their corresponding
"pure" routers. For example, an IGMP membership Query should be handled
locally to trigger any PIM prunes or grafts

I am open to modifying the code to suit my needs.. but would prefer if I
could execute the above with configuration setups only.

I am new to the XORP architecture, so I might be way off in what I think I
can accomplish using XORP. In any case, any insight will be very welcome

regards..
Vikram