[Xorp-users] Cand-RP is ignored

Carsten Otto c-otto at gmx.de
Tue May 23 14:24:07 PDT 2006

Hi!

I had to restart Xorp after several months, because another university
decided to announce 224.0.0.0/4 as RP (which is bad, because the
"network guys" for the whole network already do that (not the whole
network though)) which (sort of) crashed my Xorp. Ironically other Xorp's
in this university network had no problems and still have no problems.

However, this issue is solved and a new problem arose. I need to start a
local RP for the group used for local streams (which should go out into the
university), but the Cand-RP mechanism seems to not work at all. I did
not update anything in between the restart of Xorp and the time it was
still running fine. After I noticed that something was wrong I updated
Xorp to latest CVS and installed a recent kernel.

Even with TRACE options I do not see anything that indicates a working
(Cand-)RP. Furthermore I do not see any packet indicating something in
this direction.

Other users with the same setup can start RPs without a problem. I tried
setting up a RP for "my" group and indeed the packets are sent to the
host running Xorp with that RP (but are answered with "Stop" messages,
confusing).

Please tell me how to debug this problem.

Thanks a lot,
--
Carsten Otto
c-otto at gmx.de