[Xorp-users] Cand-RP is ignored

Carsten Otto c-otto at gmx.de
Wed May 24 12:48:20 PDT 2006

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 11:59:07AM -0700, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> The sending of the Cand-RP-Adv message happens inside
> PimVif::pim_cand_rp_adv_send(), so you may want to add some
> XLOG_INFO() there to print various info (BTW, don't use printf(),
> because the message may not be displayed immediately).

I will try this now as I will try to find something in the trace
messages.

> P.S. One possible issue that comes to mind is the following:
> There must be an elected BSR router for a group range that covers
> your own multicast group. If the received BSR info doesn't cover
> your multicast group, then no Cand-RP-Adv message will be send.

The other Xorp users are in the same (university) network and have
the same multicast upstream. So this is not the problem. And where can I
see the range of a BSR? I only know that RPs have a range.

This is my BSR in "show pim bootstrap":

BSR             Pri LocalAddress    Pri State           Timeout SZTimeout
188.1.42.50       0 0.0.0.0           0 AcceptPreferred     118 1288

Thanks a lot,
--
Carsten Otto
c-otto at gmx.de