[Xorp-users] Cand-RP is ignored

Carsten Otto c-otto at gmx.de
Thu May 25 09:12:22 PDT 2006

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 08:45:27AM -0700, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> Could you double-check that the other XORP routers on campus see the
> same BSR. Another thing you could check is whether the BSR accepts
> the particular group prefixes you are using: those particular values
> belong to the Site-Local Scope, and the BSR may restrict their usage
> (see http://www.iana.org/assignments/multicast-addresses).

All the other Xorps have the same BSR and can set up a RP for my groups.
The BSR admin told us to use the 239.255.0.0/16 area.

> If other XORP routers can successfully announce your multicast block,
> but the BSR is still ignoring your Cand-RP-Advertisements, then
> probably it has been configured to accept or drop the Cand-RP-Adv
> messages from particular addresses? You would need to confirm that
> with the netadmin for the BSR.

I changed the routers address (inside the transport LAN), but that does
not help. I will ask the BSR admin for more information, perhaps they
noticed something.

Carsten Otto
c-otto at gmx.de
www.c-otto.de