[Xorp-users] problems with openssl

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Mon Nov 6 12:11:45 PST 2006

> Hi I am also encountering an openssl error on ./configure for XORP on an
> Ubuntu box. I've run a force-reinstall and rerun ./configure
> --with-openssl=/etc/ssl. I have also run ./configure --without-openssl, but
> still no success. This is my first time compiling an app manually in Linux,
> so I'm not really sure what I'm needing to see so I know I can proceed to
> make. Also I'm not really sure where OpenSSL is installed to, I've tried
> looking in Synamptic and looking at OpenSSLs properties/Installed Files.
> There's so much stuff listed I don't know where to begin. Anyway any help
> would be greatly appreciated!

What XORP version are you using and what are the particular errors
you encounter when you run "./configure" only without any options.

The "configure" script tests for OpenSSL installation in several
places. Typically, on UNIX it is one of the following locations:
/usr /usr/local /usr/local/ssl /opt /usr/sfw .

The script in particular checks whether there is sub-directory
"include/openssl" in one of the above directories; older XORP
versions may omit the automatic checking in some of those
directories.
Eventually, there should be header file
<prefix>/include/openssl/md5.h and the OpenSSL library should be in
<prefix>/lib/libcrypto.* .

> Here's my actual questions.
>
> 1.	What am I wanting to see from running ./configure?

On Gentoo with most recent XORP code (from CVS) the related messages
are:

checking OpenSSL installation prefix... /usr
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking openssl/md5.h usability... yes
checking openssl/md5.h presence... yes
checking for openssl/md5.h... yes
checking for MD5_Init in -lcrypto... yes

> 2.	What will be the result of running ./configure, will is produce a
> file that make will use?

./configure will auto-generate a number of Makefile including one in
the top-level directory.

Then you ca run "gmake" in the top-level directory to compile
everything.

> 3.	Upon running make will that actually install XORP?

No. After compilation with "gmake" you have to run "gmake install"
(eventually as a root) to explicitly install XORP.
By default the installation will be in the /usr/local/xorp
directory. You can change this by using
    ./configure --prefix=/my/prefix

Note that you have to recompile XORP if you change the prefix after
an initial compilation.

Hope that helps,