[Xorp-users] PIM testing results

Tommaso Gianfrate gianfratetommaso at libero.it
Tue Nov 7 02:09:34 PST 2006

Hi All,
I'm trying to test PIM performance in XORP implementation.
I've set a static RP in XORP configuration file and then i make a route change to reach the RP. After the multicast routing table update, PIM should send a JOIN on the new output interface.
What i can see is that if the RP has the lowest IP in the network (a 100 routers fully meshed network), the time between the end of the OSPF Shortest Path Computation and the PIM Join is approx 6,7 sec, while if the RP has the highest IP, the same time is 24 sec.
Why the update time of unicast and multicast routing table is so high?
What are the operations made by XORP after the OSPF Shortest Path Computation and before the PIM Join message on the new interface?

Thanks,

Tommaso Gianfrate