[Xorp-users] Forcing xorpsh to return immediately

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Tue Nov 7 17:27:31 PST 2006

>   What way (if at all it were possible) can I force my xorpsh command to
> return immediately if the xorp_rtrmgr is not available ?
>
>   Typically, it waits for 30 seconds after printing "Waiting for
> xorp_rtrmgr..."  and then dies. I would prefer an option while running
> xorpsh rather than something that required recompilation

Please try setting the XORP_FINDER_CONNECT_TIMEOUT_MS environmental
variable before running xorpsh. E.g., if you want to reduce the
waiting time to 5 seconds use a command like:

env XORP_FINDER_CONNECT_TIMEOUT_MS=5000 ./xorpsh

Note that if you set this variable to some very small value
before starting other XORP processes, then some of the XORP
processes might fail on startup.
Also, this variable might have impact on running operational
commands inside xorpsh (i.e., the same timeout value will apply to
those commands as well).

We are open for suggestions if the preference is for a command-line
option instead of an environmental variable.