[Xorp-users] QoS and XORP

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Wed Nov 8 18:09:53 PST 2006

Kristian Larsson <kristian at spritelink.se> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 04:50:43PM -0800, Mark wrote:
> > Why is it then that Quagga can do ACL's yet XORP
> > cannot? I thought they were almost the same as far as
> > functionality.
> Can it?
> It was years since I used Quagga though I don't
> believe much has changed... it's still control
> plane software. If there are ways to control ACLs
> it's just that - control.
> It's still the underlying OS, the kernel, which
> handles packet forwarding and thus also packet
> filtering with the ACLs that Quagga has defined.

FYI, the XORP FEA has some backend ACL support (IPFW2 and PF for
UNIX, and NF for Windows I believe), but it requires a little bit
extra work to have it working: front-end configuration glue,
testing, etc.

Of course, this is just controling the ACLs inside the kernel
which you could always do outside the routing suite (XORP, Quagga,
etc) by using the appropriate system configuration/commands.