[Xorp-users] Problem with RP

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Mon Oct 9 01:16:43 PDT 2006

> >> I'm trying to create a multicast ambient (Xorp/PIM-SM) with 3 routers,
> >> where one is the RP.
> >> The client PCs are running SDR software to make tests of communication.
> >> When a client creates a SDR session, the RP router takes the following
> >> error: "kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled" and then reboots the
> >> FreeBSD.
> >> What's it mean?
> >
> > It sounds like a bug in the FreeBSD kernel. What version are you
> > using?
> >
> > Also, make sure you have the following options enabled in the kernel
> > configuration:
> >
> > options         MROUTING                # Multicast routing
> > options         PIM                     # PIM multicast routing
> >
> > Though, even if you don't have them the kernel shouldn't panic.
> >
> > Pavlin
> >

> Yes, I have those options enabled in the kernel configuration. I'm using
> the FreeBSD version 6. The others routers are running Xorp with the same
> OS. So I will reinstall it at the RP and test again. Is there a best idea?

Unless something has been corrupted in your original OS
installation, I don't see how reinstalling the OS might fix the
problem. Though, if you are going to reinstall anyway, make sure you
will be installing the latest release (6.1).

In any case, this seems like indeed a FreeBSD kernel bug so you
might want to contact the FreeBSD folks about the issue.