[Xorp-users] Install without CD-R or CD-RW

David H. Guerrero elcinturapartida at yahoo.es
Mon Oct 16 13:20:45 PDT 2006

 --- Pavlin Radoslavov <pavlin at icir.org> escribió:

Kristian, Pavlin thanks you for your responses.

> [Note: CC to xorp-hackers because the original question was posted
> to that list as well]
>
> Kristian Larsson <kristian at spritelink.se> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 01:45:04PM +0200, David H. Guerrero wrote:
> > > Hello, how do I install CD Live XORP 1.3 if I don't have a CD-R or CD-RW
> drive
> > > (or "I have no way to burn this image that I just downloaded.")?
> > You could install FreeBSD or Linux or some other
> > system first by PXE booting or whatever and then
> > just download XORP and install on top of that.

I didn’t know that option. I had been explore with grub and itn't possible.

> > XORP is merely a routing application suite and can
> > be run on top of several different operating
> > systems. Perhaps you already have a computer
> > installed and ready to go.
>
> To clarify few points:
>
>  * The XORP LiveCD doesn't have the option to install the software
>    on the hard disk. I.e., you can use the LiveCD to try the
>    software or just to run a XORP router on a PC that doesn't have a
>    hard disk. In both cases you need a CD drive.
>
>  * If you have a floppy on your PC you could use it to install first
>    FreeBSD.
>
>  * If you have already an OS on your hard disk, you could download
>    the source code, compile it, and then run "gmake install" as a
>    root. This will install the software in the "/usr/local/xorp"
>    directory.
>    Though, first you should check file "xorp/BUILD_NOTES" that your
>    OS is supported.

I have an old laptop (AMD 475 Mhz, 64Mb and 4Gb) with FreeBSD. I can build from
source but it would be very slow =).

There isn’t binary distribution of XORP in FreeBSD.

>  * One possible solution to try the LiveCD without a CD drive is to
>    create a VMware instance for FreeBSD or Linux, but don't install
>    the OS itself. Then edit that instance and point the VMware
>    drive for that instance to the LiveCD ISO image.
>    When you boot the VMware instance you will actually boot the
>    LiveCD ISO image.

I didn’t know that option.

> Regards,
> Pavlin
>

> > Another option would be to try out Vyatta which is
> > Linux tightly coupled with XORP and a bunch of
> > other programs to provide more of a uniform router
> > feeling. You can take a look at www.vyatta.com,
> > though I don't think there is an installation
> > option other that CD for Vyatta either.

I had installed Vyatta on the hard disk =).

> > Regards,
> >    Kristian.
> >
> > --
> > Kristian Larsson                                   KLL-RIPE
> > Network Engineer                      Net at Once [AS35706]
> > +46 704 910401			     kristian at spritelink.se

David