[Xorp-users] problems with openssl

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Mon Oct 16 15:14:27 PDT 2006

> I'm trying to install XORP in a slackware but I get the follow message when
> run ./configure script

> checking for inttypes.h... no
> checking for stdint.h... no
> checking for unistd.h... no
> checking openssl/md5.h usability... no
> checking openssl/md5.h presence... yes
> configure: WARNING: openssl/md5.h: present but cannot be compiled
> configure: WARNING: openssl/md5.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
> configure: WARNING: openssl/md5.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
> checking for openssl/md5.h... yes
> checking for MD5_Init in -lcrypto... no
> Could not find part of OpenSSL or one it's components in /usr
> Use --with-openssl=DIR to specify OpenSSL installation root.
>
> I guess openssl is installed because md5.h and libcrypto exists...

What is the location of md5.h and libcrypto?

The configure script makes certain assumptions for the location of
the md5.h header file and the libcrypto library, so those
assumptions are probably wrong for your system.

The advice from Loreno should help you fix the problem, but
eventually we should fix the configure script to take into account
the (default?) openssl installation in Slackware.