[Xorp-users] underlying vif is not UP

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Wed Oct 18 09:37:07 PDT 2006

> I am a new  xorp user. I am trying to enable multicast routing (PIM_SM) and
> Whenever I reach the mfea4 configuration and try to commit the changes I
> already did, I receive this message:
>
> *102 Command failed Cannot start vif fxp0. underlying vif is not UP.*
>
> I am stuck at this point and can't commit the changes and thus I am obliged
> to discard them If I wanna go out of the configuration mode  to the
> operational mode.
> If anyone can help with to fix this error, I would be grateful.

Can you double-check that you have "interfaces" configuration
section and that it contains an entry for fxp0. E.g., if fxp0
already has an IP address before starting XORP, then you could use
the simpler configuration:

interfaces {
    interface fxp0 {
        default-system-config
    }
}

Otherwise, you need to explicitly configure its IP address, etc:

interfaces {
    interface fxp0 {
        vif fxp0 {
            address 10.0.0.1 {
                prefix-length: 24
            }
        }
    }
}

After that double-check that the underlying interface is really UP
by using the following xorpsh command:

show interfaces