[Xorp-users] Fwd: underlying vif is not UP

hilal chouman hilalchouman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 17:53:59 PDT 2006

hi guys!
Thanks for help. Everything went allright and I am now able to commit the
cahnges without errors and save them and go out to the operational mode
without loosing my configuration. The problem was based on 2 things:
1- the conflict between the preconfigured IPs on the linux system and that
of the free BSD.
2- one of the interfaces was inactive in the linux operating system
3- the interfaces must be connected to a switch as (Venketesan said
previously).

Now, I am able to have unicast forwarding correctly.

For the multicast forwarding, I still have a slight problem, my network
looks like this:

Content server <-------->multicast enabled router (xorp) <-------->
destination

I have network analyzers on both the server and the destination, I was able
to see PIM-SM hello messages on the destination machine but there is no
reply.

Basically I was configuring the rp statically, but ten changed it to
candidate BSR/candidate RP option, nothing changed.
I thought that it is because I ahve one router only, the routing is not
successful, I am trying to configure another router and add it between the
content server and the destination so that I  have 2 enabled routers in
between.
Now, honestly the idea of the candidate BSR/candidate RP is not obvious for
me. Any body has informaton on that? and where might be the problem??
Regards.

On 10/18/06, Venketesan <venkthi1 at iit.edu> wrote:

> I had the problem (in 1.2), basically the NIC needs to be connected to
> a switch i.e. it shud have some connection.
> Thanks,
> Venkat

Hilal Chouman
هلال شومان