[Xorp-users] Fwd: underlying vif is not UP

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Fri Oct 20 17:08:44 PDT 2006

> *CS--R1--R2--Destination*
>
> but I got another error related to vif which is th following:
> *10 command failed cannot enable vif rl0 no such vif*

What is the exact error message as printed by XORP?
The missing information I am looking for is which particular module
prints this message.

One thing to double-check is whether rl0 is indeed configured inside
the following sections: interfaces, mfea, igmp, pimsm4.
In addition, check the interface status with the following xorpsh
commands:

show interfaces
show mfea interface
show igmp interface
show pim interface

> I checked that the interfaces are enabled, everything is ok, and the ip
> addresses are configured correctly with no conflict with the pre-configured
> ips on windows. Moreover there is connection . I can ping (using a network
> analyzer in the destination node) from the destination to both interfaces of
> R2. Note that rl0 is the interface of R2 to the left, that is the interface
> of R2 that connects to R1.
> A last note, this error occurs when I try to commit the changes only after
> the configuration of mfea4.
> Any ideas what might be the reason for that?
>
> Now when I go to such setup (2 routers in between), is itbetter to use the
> CandBSR/CandRP  mechanismor the static RP is ok?

I'd say stick with static RP, because it is easier to debug.
Once you get things working, you can switch to the dynamic Bootstrap
mechanism.