[Xorp-users] RP selection and multicast data flow

hilal chouman hilalchouman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 17:18:39 PDT 2006

Hi Pavlin again..

I managed to configure the router that was causing problems. Now both of the
two routers are configured:

*source----(R1)----(R2)------destination*

but the multicast traffic is *not *sent yet from the source to the
destination (multicast is enabled in the kernel)
I have used vlc on both source (to send a video by multicast) and
destination (to receive the multicasted video stream)
.
- "show pim rps" shows that the static rps are configured.

- "show igmp group" shows information about IGMP group membership.
- "show mfea dataflow" *does not* show any ebtries in the sources/groups
tables.

- On the network analyzers on the sender and on the destination, there exist
IGMP reportson in a noticabla ammount and there appear pim-sm hello messages
from time to time, but nothing is received on the destination.. *Something
is wrong somewhere or something is not done yet. I made sure of the
configuraion and everything is ok.*

Now,

1- Is there any other things to configure else than interfaces, mfea4, fea,
protocols (pimsm4 (rp is configured statically), igmp) and fib2mrib in order
to succedd in receiving multicast?

2- What If I have a sender that sends to two different receivers in
different groups, that is I am dealing with 2 different channels (S1,G1) nad
(S1, G2). The RP must be aware in a away about the address of the group,
right??. Correct for me plz if I am wrong: How come that the RP in the xorp
configuration is not linked to the group addresses? and what is the
group-prefix in the pimsm4 for?

3- I have noticed that when xorp is running on both router R1 and R2 and I
try to modify the rp on one of them and when trying  to commit the changes,
everything freezes and I can't know if the commit failed or succeeded and I
am obliged to stop the command  (ctrl+c). In that case what I do is that: I
exit from xorp from one router to the underlying operating system and let
xorp only running on 1 router, and then modify the rp. The same procedure is
done on the other router before both routers are connected to each others in
xorp.. Is there a specific reason for that?

Do you have any further suggestions why the pim is not succeeding in
building the tree and thus multicast is not working? (TTL on source is for
sure bigger than 1, I checked that)

Sorry for this long email..
Regards..

Hilal