[Xorp-users] BGP conditional route advertising

Kristian Larsson kristian at spritelink.se
Fri Sep 1 02:50:01 PDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 11:56:21AM +0300, mihai at duras.ro wrote:
> I'll try adding a feature request then.
>
> Prepending is sometimes not enough.
>
> For example some upstream providers will always place a higher weight,
> local pref,etc on a route received from a certain peer and thus render the
> as-path prepend unusable.
Certainly. I'd say just about everyone places a
higher local preference on their own customers,
but that lpref won't be visible beyond your
upstream so just about everyone else on the
Internet will choose the best route based on the
shortest AS-PATH.

> What I want is:
>
> Announce my route over ISP1 while ISP1 is online (and don't receive any
> traffic on the backup ISPs).
> If ISP1 down then announce via ISP2.
> If ISP2 down..and so on.
You could probably do this via some form of shell
script that polls to see if ISP1 is down or not
and then add an advertisement via ISP2.
or buy a Cisco.. or do some XORP coding :)

Regards,
   Kristian.