[Xorp-users] Problems with PIM-SM

Ian Batterbee ian.batterbee at aut.ac.nz
Wed Apr 18 18:38:01 PDT 2007

Hello,

I am having trouble getting xorp to route multicast packets. I have read
through the archives as far back as Dec 2005, and have found an number
of related postings, but nothing that has helped me so far.

I have tried various configuration settings, and am currently using the
config suggested by Pavlin a few months ago:
http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/xorp-users/2006-December/001579.html

Notes:
  The only changes I have made to the config above is:
   - the IP address of the statically configured RP to match my network.
   - enabled pimsm4 trace options with 'set protocols pimsm4
traceoptions flag all disable false'
  The group address for all tests is 225.1.1.2
  Between each test, I issued "clear ip mroute 225.1.1.2" on the cisco
router.
  I've substituted the words TestA, TestB etc in some of the output
below in place of the specific IP addresses involved
  In all tests, I have verified I can ping back and forth between the
test machines.
  In all tests, 'show pim mrib' shows the unicast routes, as expected.

Scenario 1:
TestA(LISTENING) --[switch1]---  CiscoRtr(RP) ---[switch2] ----
eth0:xorp:eth1 ----[switch3]--- TestB(SENDING)
- Cisco router shows an ip mroute for (*,225.1.1.2), with no incoming
interfaces, and one outgoing interface (to TestA)
- xorp pimsm4 trace output shows it receives and sends lots of PIM_HELLO
messages, and it sees the cisco as a neighbour (show pim nei)
- The output of 'show pim join' does NOT show anything about 225.1.1.2,
but does show the expected 224 groups that xorp is a member of
- the output of 'show igmp group' does NOT show anything about
225.1.1.2, but does show all the 224 groups (as above)
- Client TestA sees nothing

Scenario 2:
TestA(SENDING) --[switch1]---  CiscoRtr(RP) ---[switch2] ----
eth0:xorp:eth1 ----[switch3]--- TestB(LISTENING)
- Cisco router shows ip mroute entry for (*,225.1.1.2), incoming null,
outgoing null
- Cisco router shows ip mroute entry for (TestA, 225.1.1.2), incoming
TestA_Subnet, outgoing null
- Xorp 'show igmp groups' shows "eth1         225.1.1.2
0.0.0.0         TestB     223 2     E"
- Xorp 'show pim mfc' shows 224.0.1.39, 224.0.1.40, but NOT 225.1.1.2
- Xorp 'show pim join' shows an entry for 225.1.1.2, with upstream state
on eth0 'NotJoined' - I think this is a problem.
- Client TestB sees nothing

Control Test 1:
TestA(SENDING)--[switch1]--TestB(RECEIVING)
 - Works fine

Control Test 2:
TestA(SENDING)--[switch1]--CiscoRouter--[switch2]--TestB(RECEIVING)
 - Works fine

It seems to me that although xorp picks up the IGMP information
correctly when it has the client connected to it, it doesn't get that
info into PIM, or at least not to the PIM neighbours.

What can I check next ?