[Xorp-users] Address not adding

Emmanuel A. Adigun eadigun at cs.up.ac.za
Wed Aug 1 07:28:01 PDT 2007

>Are you intending to configure RIP in such way so you can see the RIP
>packets originated by one of the IP addresses on the interface and
>received on the same interface (but the other IP address)?
>I don't think it will work this way.
>You should run RIP instances on two different (neighbor) machines,
>and even then you should enable RIP on one IP address per interface.

I've tried running RIP on two different interface card on the same machine,
using a different address on the cards but still no luck. Part of the config
is below as well as the results I get.

protocols {
    rip {
	export: "connected"
	interface eth0 {
	    vif eth0 {
		address 169.254.8.14 {
		  disable: false
		  metric: 1
		  horizon: "split-horizon-poison-reverse"
		  passive: false
		  accept-non-rip-requests: true
		  accept-default-route: true
		  /* advertise-defaut-route: true */
		  route-timeout: 180
		  deletion-delay: 120
		  triggered-delay: 3
		  triggered-jitter: 66
		  update-interval: 30
		  update-jitter: 16
		  request-interval: 30
		  interpacket-delay: 50
		  /*
		  authentication {
		    simple-password: "password";
		    md5 @: u32 {
		      password: "password";
		      start-time: "2006-01-01.12:00"
		      end-time: "2007-01-01.12:00"
		    }
		  }
		  */
		}
	    }
	}
	export: "connected"

	interface eth2 {
	    vif eth2 {
		address 169.254.5.17 {
		  disable: false
		  metric: 1
		  horizon: "split-horizon-poison-reverse"
		  passive: false
		  accept-non-rip-requests: true
		  accept-default-route: true
		  route-timeout: 180
		  deletion-delay: 120
		  triggered-delay: 3
		  triggered-jitter: 66
		  update-interval: 30
		  update-jitter: 16
		  request-interval: 30
		  interpacket-delay: 50
		}
	    }
	}
	export: "connected"
    }
}

root at eLinuxBox> show rip statistics all

* RIP on eth0 eth0 169.254.8.14

  Counter                                     Value
  -------------------------------- ----------------
  Requests Sent                                  33
  Updates Sent                                   31
  Triggered Updates Sent                          1
  Non-RIP Updates Sent                            0
  Total Packets Received                          0
  Request Packets Received                        0
  Update Packets Received                         0
  Bad Packets Received                            0
  Authentication Failures                         0
  Bad Routes Received                             0
  Non-RIP Requests Received                       0

* RIP on eth2 eth2 169.254.5.17

  Counter                                     Value
  -------------------------------- ----------------
  Requests Sent                                  33
  Updates Sent                                   32
  Triggered Updates Sent                          0
  Non-RIP Updates Sent                            0
  Total Packets Received                          0
  Request Packets Received                        0
  Update Packets Received                         0
  Bad Packets Received                            0
  Authentication Failures                         0
  Bad Routes Received                             0
  Non-RIP Requests Received                       0