[Xorp-users] Problems verifying compalation

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Fri Aug 3 09:41:53 PDT 2007

Christopher David Chapman <c.d.chapman at reading.ac.uk> wrote:

> Thanks for getting back to me so soon,
>
> I am using gentoo 2007.0-r1 with the hardened profile and gcc 3.4.6.
> The system is configured with two nics bonded together an then tagged to vlans, so interfaces are bond0.1 bond0.2 etc.
>

> Gdb Dump
>
> fw-sse-int libxorp # ./test_vif
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> fw-sse-int libxorp # gdb test_vif -c core
> GNU gdb 6.6
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
> Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
> Core was generated by `./test_vif'.
> #0  0xb7d78f09 in _start () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0xb7d78f09 in _start () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
> #1  0xb7d01e6c in ?? ()
> #2  0xb7d03140 in ?? ()
> #3  0x80033188 in ?? ()
> #4  0xbff773a8 in ?? ()
> #5  0x00000000 in ?? ()
> (gdb)

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately, it seems that XORP has been
compiled with the debugging information disabled, so the above
backtrace doesn't show where (or why) test_vif has crashed.

Could you send the list of your compilation flags. E.g., after you
run ./confugure, you should see them at the end:

Compiler C flags =  -g -Werror -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wbad-function-cast -Wmissing-prototypes -Wcast-qual -Wmissing-declarations -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wstrict-prototypes -Wnested-externs -pipe
Compiler C++ flags =  -g -Werror -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-qual -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Woverloaded-virtual -ftemplate-depth-25 -pipe

Also, please re-compile XORP with debugging information enabled
(e.g., just by running ./configure). Actually, you need to compile
only the libxorp directory:

./configure
cd libxorp
gmake clean
gmake
gmake check

Then rerun again the ./test_vif program and "gdb" on the result core
file.

Alternatively, if you can give me a temporary account to your box I
will be glad to look at the problem, because most likely it might
take few extra rounds of email exchange chaising it and fixing it.