[Xorp-users] Question on supporting multiple routing tables.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Aug 8 15:07:18 PDT 2007

Hello!

I am curious how hard it would be to get Xorp to support
multiple routing tables.  My goal is to support virtual routers (VR).

For instance, suppose eth0 and eth1 belong to one VR, and eth2 and eth3 to
a second VR.  I'd associate eth0 and eth1 with routing table X, and eth2 and eth3
with routing table Y.  I'd want the Xorp daemon to treat the two sets of
interfaces completely separate, and update the correct routing table as needed.
Xorp should NOT, for instance, think that eth2 can talk to eth0 unless OSPF
messages or similar are received on the eth0 and eth2 interfaces allowing such
communication.

I already have scripts to create the proper routing tables and a few patches
to the kernel to make this work, but I'd like to support 'real' routing protocols
as well.

Assuming this cannot currently be done, if anyone is interested in developing
this (possibly for a fee), please contact me.  (off-list if the $fee option
interests you).