[Xorp-users] No logging when using xorp_rtrmgr

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Thu Aug 23 11:43:10 PDT 2007

> I've been banging my head with Xorp to try to get a simple multicast setup
> running. I've finally made it work but one of the reasons it took me
> so much time is that xorp_rtrmgr would not output any logging information
> at all when starting up even if using the '-v' flag (and I have been unable
> to find any syslog messages either)

The XORP log messages are output to stdout/stderr when you start the
xorp_rtrmgr.
XORP doesn't write any syslog messages (yet), which is one of the
shortcomings of the log meccanism that needs to be addressed in the
future.

Do you see any messages printed on the terminal if you start
xorp_rtrmgr in foreground?

> I'm not sure if this is because of my config.boot (attached) but shouldn't
> the daemon output some information on startup? When I made mistakes with the
> config.boot the daemon would just die with no error message.

Your config.boot seems fine, except that in the PIM-SM configuration
section you should use either static-rps or bootstrap configuration.
Mixing both mechanisms might result in unpredictable outcome.

How do you start the xorp_rtrmgr process?
The no-brainer solution is just to run xorp_rtrmgr in background and
redirect its stdout and stderr output to a log file.

A better solution is to use the contributed code inside
xorp/contrib/packages/debian where you will find XORP-related
package information for Debian. It also contains an init script
for XORP. However, I should point that we (XORP) haven't tested it,
but hopefully Benjamin Sonntag (the author of that contributed code)
and/or the Debian-knowledgable folks on that list can provide more
input on the subject.

> Might this be because of some error when compiling Xorp?
>
> For reference:
> - Using Xorp 1.4
> - Compiled in a Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 'sarge' chroot  (GCC 3.3.5, libc6
>   2.3.2.ds1-22sarge6)
> - Running Xorp in UML instances running Debian GNU/Linux 3.1, Linux kernel
>   2.6.17

Did you succeed to compile XORP with the above setup?
If there were any compilation errors, then the compilation itself
should fail and obviously you can't run XORP.
See the Debian section inside xorp/BUILD_NOTES about some
information for building XORP on Debian.
Note: the information there assumes that you download and compile
XORP by hand rather than as part of a Debian package.

> Thanks,
>
> Javier
>
> PS: BTW, Xorp 1.4 does not compile with newer g++ versions (I've tried 4.1.3 in
> a Debian 'sid' environment). Is this fixed in CVS?

Which Debian package did you use to get 4.1.3? I just searched
http://packages.debian.org/ and the latest 4.1.x gcc package is
4.1.2-15.
Anyway, I will give a try of 4.1.2-15 and 4.2.1-4 as well.