[Xorp-users] No logging when using xorp_rtrmgr

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña jfs at computer.org
Thu Aug 23 13:36:12 PDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 11:43:10AM -0700, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> Do you see any messages printed on the terminal if you start
> xorp_rtrmgr in foreground?

No, none.

> > I'm not sure if this is because of my config.boot (attached) but shouldn't
> > the daemon output some information on startup? When I made mistakes with the
> > config.boot the daemon would just die with no error message.
>
> Your config.boot seems fine, except that in the PIM-SM configuration
> section you should use either static-rps or bootstrap configuration.
> Mixing both mechanisms might result in unpredictable outcome.

Ok. Will remove that part.

> How do you start the xorp_rtrmgr process?

Manually, telling it to use the boot file.

> A better solution is to use the contributed code inside
> xorp/contrib/packages/debian where you will find XORP-related
> package information for Debian. It also contains an init script
> for XORP. However, I should point that we (XORP) haven't tested it,
> but hopefully Benjamin Sonntag (the author of that contributed code)
> and/or the Debian-knowledgable folks on that list can provide more
> input on the subject.

I've already built Debian packages for Xorp (I'm a Debian developer myself).
I haven't looked up at the contributed code there, however. But I've based
myself on the work done by Jose Calhariz which is based on Benjamin's work

Actually, my goal is to eventually provide official Debian packages in
Debian's repositories for everybody to enjoy Xorp :)

> > For reference:
> > - Using Xorp 1.4
> > - Compiled in a Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 'sarge' chroot  (GCC 3.3.5, libc6
> >   2.3.2.ds1-22sarge6)
> > - Running Xorp in UML instances running Debian GNU/Linux 3.1, Linux kernel
> >   2.6.17
>
> Did you succeed to compile XORP with the above setup?

Yes.

> If there were any compilation errors, then the compilation itself
> should fail and obviously you can't run XORP.

Obviously, but that does not happen. I have not reviewed the compiler's
warnings, however.

> > PS: BTW, Xorp 1.4 does not compile with newer g++ versions (I've tried 4.1.3 in
> > a Debian 'sid' environment). Is this fixed in CVS?
>
> Which Debian package did you use to get 4.1.3? I just searched
> http://packages.debian.org/ and the latest 4.1.x gcc package is
> 4.1.2-15.
> Anyway, I will give a try of 4.1.2-15 and 4.2.1-4 as well.

You're right, fingers might have mistyped, I should have said 4:4.1.2-3 (not
4.1.3).

Regards

Javier