[Xorp-users] Unreachable default route.

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Thu Aug 30 10:06:56 PDT 2007

Tim Durack <tdurack at gmail.com> wrote:

> On a Cisco you would configure a floating static route - that is a
> static with a higher administrative distance than a dynamic routing
> protocol. The static will be overridden by the dynamic, but if the
> dynamic default goes away, the static will be installed.
>
> Not sure if XORP supports this (I don't think you can change admin
> distance), so this probably doesn't help.

No, unfortunately XORP doesn't support floating static routes (yet).
The RIB itself has already XRL interface to set the admin distance
per protocol, but this interface is not used yet, and it will set
the admin distance for all routes for a given protocol.

If modifying the admin distance for all static routes (so they are
less preferred than, say, OSPF) is acceptable to you, the easiest
hack is to modify rib/rib.cc (the RIB constructor) and change the
"static" entry for _admin_distances to a value that is larger than
the dynamic protocols (e.g., 220).