[Xorp-users] Quiet Death

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Tue Dec 4 11:56:07 PST 2007

> All,
> 	I am trying to figure out how to make xorp (XORP Router
> Manager) die a louder death.  I have cross-compiled xorp for a powerpc
> platform.  I try to start the router manager with a very simple
> config.boot and this executable dies very quickly and with no messages
> to STDERR.  Anyone have any ideas to make it die louder or a location
> for log files?

If you run "./xorp_rtrmgr -h" does it print the help information?

If yes, then probably the XORP log mechanism is not working.
FYI, it tries to open the following three device files (in this
order):
/dev/stderr
/dev/console
/dev/stdout

The first device that it successfully opens for writing will be used
to output the log messages.
Do you have any of those devices on your platform and are they
writable (as root)?
FYI, the above list is hard-coded inside xorp/xlog.c so you could
modify it if the output device name is different.
In any case, please let us know how it goes, so we can fix the
code (if the problem is in the XORP code).