[Xorp-users] Problems with Linux kernel and OSPF ???

Atanu Ghosh atanu at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Dec 4 12:19:20 PST 2007

Hi,

The scenario that you describe would be perfectly normal if the
connectivity between the "suspect" router and the "adjacent" router is
lost. Although I would expect the "show ospf4 neighbor" to show the
state of the adjacency to be "Down" not "Full". When an OSPF router
loses its adjancencies the LSA database will slowly timeout, however,
the routes will be withdrawn as soon as the adjacencies are lost.

We will require more information to diagnose the problem next time the
problem occurs the output of "show interfaces" and "show ospf4 neighbor"
would be very useful.

XORP tracks the state of interfaces in particular the carrier state. If
OSPF believes that the Ethernet has been disconnected it will stop
attempting to send hello packets. Is it possible that there is a problem
with an interface or cable between the two routers?

	   Atanu.