[Xorp-users] PIM-DM and Flood-and-Prune approach

hiren joshi joshihirenn at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 22:58:46 PST 2007

Hello,

First, thanks for answering all my previous questions. Here is my current
question:

PIM-DM uses state-refresh mechanism to refresh the prune state of outgoing
interfaces of multicast routers.
This consumes bandwidth. What if we make the prune state sticky. Here is
what I want to say -

1. Initially traffic is flooded everywhere.
2. Those who do not want it, send Prune. Prune state will not be timed out.
3. If you have sent Prune previously and want the traffic now, send Graft.
4. If you have sent Graft previously and do not want the traffic now, send
Prune.

What can be the problem with this approach?
Basically I want to ask: why the prune state do have a finite lifetime. Why
the traffic is flooded everywhere when the prune timer expires?

Thanks.

-hiren