[Xorp-users] multicast over GRE tunnel

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Fri Feb 9 12:49:53 PST 2007

> >  You mentioned that you see PIM Join messages going out from the
> >  tunnel interface. Do you see PIM Hello messages as well?
> >
> 	yes:
> 17:43:33.588639 IP 200.x.x.153 > 224.0.0.13: pim v2 Hello (Hold-time
> 1m45s) (Genid: 0x000ee67a) (DR-Priority: 1) (State Refresh Capable; v1)
> 17:43:36.558766 IP 200.x.x.154 > 224.0.0.13: pim v2 Hello (Hold-time
> 1m45s) (LAN-Prune-Delay: T-bit=0 lan-delay=500ms
> override-interval=2500ms) (DR-Priority: 1) (Genid: 0x4f41e2ab)
>
> 	153 is cisco, 154 is xorp.

I don't remember whether the IP options are always printed, so could
you use a command like the following to make sure that option (if
presented) is not omitted from the tcpdump output:

tcpdump -i eth0 -n -vvv -s 0 -x proto \\pim

> >  If yes, could you check whether they have the IP Router Alert option
> >  set. This option shouldn't be set (it was specified in earlier
> > drafts of the PIM-SM spec, but not anymore), and some (Cisco?)
> > equipment might not like PIM control packets if the option is set.
>
> you mean this?
>
> xorp at teste# set protocols pimsm4 interface tun0 vif tun0
> enable-ip-router-alert-option-check false
> [edit]
> xorp at teste# commit
>
> 	didn work either. Perhaps cisco doenst like to greet a non-cisco
> router :-)

This option is to enable/disable the (now unnecessary) check whether
the received PIM control messages contain the IP Router Alert
option. Hence, it doesn't have effect on the outgoing packets.

> >  XORP-1.3 and earlier had the IP Router Alert option included, but
> >  this has been fixed in the latest XORP code in CVS.
> >  If you are running XORP-1.3 (or earlier), please get the latest code
> >  from anon CVS and see whether you still have the problem.
>
> 	I´m using XORP-1.3. I will give the CVS one a try. Thanks for your
> reply.

Please let us know what happens. Also, you might want to check the
Cisco's log messages for any clues (if you haven't done that yet).
If the CVS code doesn't solve the problem, we can start debugging
from there.