[Xorp-users] Xorp-users Digest, Vol 11, Issue 9

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Thu Feb 15 11:01:55 PST 2007

> Is XORP latest version supporting PIM-SSM. I could not see such behaviour
> nor could I get any configuration statement to do so.

The base PIM-SM spec includes PIM-SSM as well, and yes, XORP
supports PIM-SSM.
There is no need for any pimsm{4,6} configuration statements to
enable/use PIM-SSM. The difference is that if you are going to
use only PIM-SSM, then you don't need to configure any RP-related
information (the "bootstrap" and the "static-rps" statements).

The only thing you need to do is to set the IGMP version to 3 (as I
mentioned in my previous email):

protocols {
    igmp {
        interface eth0 {
            vif eth0 {
                disable: false
                version: 3
            }
        }
    }
}

And, of course, your host (the receiver) must support IGMPv3 in the
kernel.
BTW, I believe the host/router running XORP doesn't need to have
IGMPv3 support in the kernel if it will be used only for SSM routing
(i.e., if you won't be running SSM application on the same host),
because all IGMPv3 router-side processing is done in userland by
XORP.