[Xorp-users] PIM registering process

Neeraj Prasad neeraj.prasad at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 01:26:27 PST 2007

I will do a debug and let you know the results, for the PIM SSM related
issues.

With respect to the PIM register issue, i had this topology

if1------x1,x2---------if2

I mentioned if2 as the RP on XORP router(x1 and x2 represent the XORP
interfaces and if1 and if2 are interfaces on my machine), the register_vif
takes IP address of interface x1.

I am sending a UDP data packet from if1 to 225.1.1.1, and I am capturing
packets on if2 using ethereal, but no PIM Register packets are arriving on
if2.

I am receiving PIM hello on both if1 and if2.

Also, I dont need to send PIM hello from if1 and if2 as it is not required
since PIM Registers are unicast.

Am i missing something.

Regards,
Neeraj.

On 2/17/07, Pavlin Radoslavov <pavlin at icir.org> wrote:

> > Thanks Pavlin. I was unable to see any SSM behaviour in XORP so this
> > question.
>
> If it still doesn't work, did you try to debug the problem?
> A starting point would be the "show igmp group" xorpsh command on
> the router directly connected to the SSM receiver. If it shows the
> (S,G) receiver, then the "show pim join" xorpsh command should show
> the (S,G) PIM-SM state.
>
> > Also, is there some problem with PIM register. I did the usual set up
> and
> > configuration but the system wont register encapsulate the data packet.
> All
> > parameters were correctly mentioned and why register_vi

f takes address of

--
Thanks and Regards,
Neeraj Prasad