[Xorp-users] PIM registering process

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Sun Feb 18 13:16:10 PST 2007

> With respect to the PIM register issue, i had this topology
>
> if1------x1,x2---------if2
>
> I mentioned if2 as the RP on XORP router(x1 and x2 represent the XORP
> interfaces and if1 and if2 are interfaces on my machine), the register_vif
> takes IP address of interface x1.
>
> I am sending a UDP data packet from if1 to 225.1.1.1, and I am capturing
> packets on if2 using ethereal, but no PIM Register packets are arriving on
> if2.

You need to look into the "show pim join" and "show pim mfc" to see
whether the register_vif is really in the oifs set. Also,
double-check that the TTL of the data packets originated by if1 is
larger than 1.

> I am receiving PIM hello on both if1 and if2.
>
> Also, I dont need to send PIM hello from if1 and if2 as it is not required
> since PIM Registers are unicast.

Periodic sending of PIM Hello packets on all enabled interfaces is
required by the PIM spec.