[Xorp-users] Compiling XORP on Slackware 11.0

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Fri Jan 5 12:42:54 PST 2007

> I'm having issues compiling XORP 1.3 on Slackware 11.0,...
> I'm trying to keep it as minimalistic as possible as far as the host OS goes
> just to ease management etc.
>
> From my reading of the situation the ./configure runs ok its when I run make
> that things get fun.
> It seems that its having issues finding the header files:
> ethtool.h
> rtnetlink.h
> mroute.h

I am not familiar with Slackware, but I believe you should have
those files under /usr/include. E.g.:

/usr/include/linux/ethtool.h
/usr/include/linux/rtnetlink.h
/usr/include/linux/mroute.h

Did "./configure" find those files?
Eventually, you should see messages like:

checking linux/ethtool.h usability... yes
checking linux/ethtool.h presence... yes
checking for linux/ethtool.h... yes
checking linux/rtnetlink.h usability... yes
checking linux/rtnetlink.h presence... yes
checking for linux/rtnetlink.h... yes
checking linux/mroute.h usability... yes
checking linux/mroute.h presence... yes
checking for linux/mroute.h... yes

You might also see messages like the following, which is also fine:

checking linux/ethtool.h usability... no
checking linux/ethtool.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: linux/ethtool.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: linux/ethtool.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: linux/ethtool.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
checking for linux/ethtool.h... yes
checking linux/rtnetlink.h usability... no
checking linux/rtnetlink.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: linux/rtnetlink.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: linux/rtnetlink.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: linux/rtnetlink.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
checking for linux/rtnetlink.h... yes

> Where does XORP look for these files by default? Or which package does this
> usually live in?

For other Linux distrubutions they are typically available as part
of the core system, though I have to admit that I haven't played
with stripped-down minimalistic distributions.

Hence, could you provide the following information:
1. Are the above files really inside the /usr/include/linux
   directory?
2. If yes, did "./configure" find them?
3. What are the exact compilation errors you see?