[Xorp-users] Simulate

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Mon Jan 8 12:15:15 PST 2007

> I wanna use XORP for multicast; but How do I know if my LAN will support the
> traffic? Which tool do i can use to simulate my network, multicast traffic
> and routers using xorp?

If you are concerned about the amount of bandwidth and whether your
network will support it, this issue is outside the scope of XORP.
XORP contains only control-plane software (the protocols needed to
support unicast and multicast routing, etc), and you need to use
other tools to design or test your network.

I don't know what tools/mechanisms are used in that case.
If your network is very simple, have you tried back-on-the-envelope
calculations? :)

Other folks on that list have first-hand ISP experience and should
be able to tell you what they usually do.