[Xorp-users] routing provider's TV (PIM-SM)

Vyacheslav Druzhinin dvg at tjc.ru
Wed Jan 10 13:35:22 PST 2007

Hi,

10.01.2007 04:58 you wrote:
> > Thank you very much.  I've changed the static-rp string to
> > provider's cisco router - 87.240.10.97, but vlc on winXP still
> > does not work. But if I starting to view any TV channel on BSD box
> > and at the same time starting to view the channel on winXP box it
> > shows on it.
> It happens to work, because once your pull the multicast data down
> to your BSD box (with the application running on that box), then the
> XORP router running on the BSD box can forward the data to the WinXP
> box.

I get it.

> > Provider's tech support does not wish to tell me an RP IP
> > address. I don't know the RP's IP, simply wrote my router's IP.
> Somehow I am not surprised they didn't tell you that info :)

I get it too :)

> The correct IP address of the RP is a must. On top of that they
> might be filtering the PIM-SM Join messages as well.
> In any case, it doesn't look like your ISP wants you to become a
> part of their PIM-SM domain, so you shouldn't try to tweak XORP to
> get it working.

Unfortunately, it is real. :(

> IGMP proxy is what I was going to suggest as a solution of your
> problem. Unfortunately, currently XORP doesn't implement it (we have
> it on our radar though).

hope proxy mode will appear in XORP :)

> One of the options is the IGMPproxy implementation (the one you
> mention above):
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/igmpproxy

Too hard work fo me to port it to BSD system :-(

> The other one is the IGMPv3proxy:
> http://potiron.loria.fr/projects/madynes/internals/perso/lahmadi/igmpv3proxy

I can't compile it, gcc reports too many errors, I couldn't fix them, I'm
newbie in C++ lang :( but I wrote a message to the author of IGMP v3 proxy
Lahmadi Abdelkader and include error reports. Waiting for the answer. :)

> I haven't used either one, but if IGMPproxy from Sourceforge is only
> for Linux then you could try IGMPv3proxy. According to the Web site
> it is suppose to work for BSD as well. Note that it is suppose to be
> IGMPv3 proxy, but if it implements the full IGMPv3 specification,
> then it should work with IGMPv1 and IGMPv2 clients as well.

I googled for IGMP v.3 proxy, and nobody can compile the sources. :(

I've checked provider's forums for my problem, and has found igmpproxy for
linux work fine, but I like a BSD systems :-/
Btw, hardware routers like Dlink DI-808HV (or linksys wrt54g) work fine too.
They are using igmpproxy afaik.

> Please let us know whether it works for you.

By all means I'll write about results.