[Xorp-users] Help needed for basic PIM-SM configuration

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Fri Jan 12 14:44:32 PST 2007

> I don't have much experience from xorp or PIM-SM and I need some assistance
> setting up xorp for my simple testing environment.
>
> I have RHEL4 + xorp 1.3 based routers R1-R4, multicast sender S1 and receiver
> C1. Sender sends video to the multicast address 225.1.1.1.
>
> At this time, my network is very simple:
>
> [S1]--[R1]-[R2]-[R3]-[R4]-[C1]
>
> All the routers R1-R4 have the same kind of interface setup:
>
> <--{eth0}[Rn]{eth1}-->
>
> Eth0 is towards the S1 and eth1 is towards C1.
>
> I have enabled OSPF and routing is working okay. I have tried to configure
> PIM-SM but did not succeed (what "xorpsh>show pim rps" and "xorpsh>show pim
> bootstrap" should show when everything is in order?).

The "show pim bootstrap" command should show information related to
the election of the Bootstrap router (BSR). Once the BSR has been
elected and it has propagated the Cand-RP information, you should be
able to see the Cand-RP set using the "show pim rps" command.
If the "show pim rps" output is empty, then your PIM-SM routers
haven't received the Cand-RP information.

Note that on startup it might take 1-3 minutes until the BSR
election is completed and the Cand-RP set is propagated.
Hence, for testing purpose I'd recommend to use static RP setup.

Your PIM-SM configuration seems fine, but it is unclear whether you
have configured other multicast-related modules like fib2mrib.

This is what your multicast-specific oprtion of your configuration
should look like. You would need to replace 10.10.10.10 with the IP
address of one of your PIM-SM routers (the RP).

plumbing {
    mfea4 {
        interface eth0 {
            vif eth0 {