[Xorp-users] Problem using xorp on real internet ...

Mark Handley M.Handley at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jul 2 07:05:44 PDT 2007

On 7/2/07, Marko Zec <zec at icir.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> you might try to configure and build XORP with a few optimization flags
> enabled, as described at the very bottom of the BUILD_NOTES file.  The
> --enable-optimize and --disable-debug flags in particular should yield
> significant improvements, while the others are very much compiler
> specific but might be worth playing with.  Nevertheless, even with
> compile-time optimizations enabled, XORP currently lags behind Quagga
> and OpenBGPD in terms of raw route-crunching throughput.

I agree.  There are a lot of things we can do about this; some are on
my list, after the jumbo patch I'm currently working on for 4-byte AS
numbers.  We use quite a bit more memory than we need to, in part
because a lot of code for debugging is still in place.  Removing this
extra memory usage should help performance, as there's a good chance
that just touching so much memory is one the the things that hurts us
at the moment.

 - Mark