[Xorp-users] Routing Capacity in XORP

Diego Salvador salvador_d13 at yahoo.com.ph
Wed Jul 4 07:10:45 PDT 2007

Hi Pavlin,

First of, thanks for your reply! The routing capacity I mean falls to your second statement about maximum number of routes that can be stored in memory or RAM. So in this case, it only depends on the amount of memory storage available in your system. What if I have 128MB of RAM and then I want to know if how much is the capacity of that given RAM, what tool should I used in generating routes? Is there any available tools for free to use? And on this given  RAM capacity, I need to test each routing protocols either unicast [BGP, OSPF, RIP and static] and multicast [IGMP, MLD and PIM-SM]. I think this way, I can see how each routing protocols will be benchmark according to RAM load. Just tell me if I am doing the right benchmark.

Thanks.

Diego

Pavlin Radoslavov <pavlin at icir.org> wrote: Diego Salvador  wrote:

> Hi! How to test routing capacity on XORP protocols in unicast (RIP, OSPF, BGP) and multicast (PIM-SM, MLD and IGMP)?

Please define "routing capacity".

If it is the max. forwarding bandwidth, it is determined by the
underlying system, because XORP implements only the control plane.

If it is, say, the maximum number of routes that can be stored, it
is practically limited by the amount of RAM you have in your system.