[Xorp-users] XORP and Virtual Routers

Diego Salvador salvador_d13 at yahoo.com.ph
Wed Jul 4 07:59:25 PDT 2007

Hi Adam,

Thanks to your reply!

A virtual router is an emulation of a physical router at the software level that can create many instances of routers and protocols in a single unit. The instances of routers and protocols are independent to  each other like for example, an instance of a virtual router [A] with virtual instances of protocols such as BGP, OSPF, ISIS, RIP, IGMP, PIM-SM and MLD and another instance of virtual router [B] with another virtual instances of protocols like what virtual router [A] has. So virtual router [A] is independent on virtual router [B] in a single physical unit.

Virtual router is a solution commonly used for virtual networks serving many users with different routing protocol requirements and routing infrastructure.

Thanks.

Diego

Adam Greenhalgh <a.greenhalgh at cs.ucl.ac.uk> wrote: Diego,

Yes there is work under way at the moment at UCL to add virtual
routing to xorp, the fea clean up you might have seen is part of this
work. We are heading towards something link slide 21 in xorp-virt.pdf.

What do you mean by a virtual router ?

What do you want from a virtual router ?

Adam